It is important to note that even if your watch has damage, it will still hold value and it is worth getting an estimate from an expert.
- All watches should be serviced every 4-5 years. Neglecting to do so can take off up to 20% of the resale price. One of the rare exceptions to this rule is the Omega Coaxial that only requires servicing every 7-10 years.
- Keep the box and papers as this adds up to 20% to the value of your watch.
- Water damage renders a watch almost worthless as the repairs can cost as much as the original price of the watch. Make sure to screw down the crown when exposing your watch to water. When changing battery, ask that a water resistancy test be performed.
- Keep hold of your service receipts and all links.
- If you chose to replace a strap, do so with a direct replacement.
- Keep your automatic watch on a winder as this keeps the oil moving and your timepiece prime condition.