Not only does a luxury watch serve as a practical way to tell time, but it can also be a masterful technical achievement, a fashionable, stylish addition to your wardrobe, and sometimes even a long-term investment. Starting your luxury watch collection is easier than you may think. Read below for a quick guide to starting a watch collection that you will treasure for years to come.
How Do I Start My Luxury Watch Collection?
- Gather Funds
- Determine Your Collection
- Continue Your Collection
- GATHER FUNDS
One of the first steps to creating a luxury watch collection is to gather sufficient funds. Though they range greatly in price, luxury timepieces are often quite costly. It may take months to save up enough money to purchase just one of the watches you desire.
A quick way to get cash to fund your new watch collection is by selling any older watches you may have laying around or by selling any other jewelry that is collecting dust in the back of your closet.
- DETERMINE YOUR COLLECTION
With money in hand, it’s now time to decide what type of watch collection you would like to have. You can always change the direction of your watch collection, but it can be helpful to have a vision in mind as you purchase your first watches. Some collectors choose to focus on vintage watches, others choose to purchase only dive or pilot watches, and other collectors simply purchase whatever suits their fancy in the moment. If you plan on starting a specialized collection, it’s important to do some research on what sorts of watches are out there.
With some long-term plans in mind, you are ready to purchase the first luxury watch for your collection. There are few tips to keep in mind when starting your luxury watch collection:
- Look for timeless pieces – It’s important not to chase trends. Choose a watch that you’ll enjoy for years to come.
- Shop preowned – A good way to save money when shopping for luxury watches is by looking on the secondhand market. You can find watches in great condition for a fraction of their retail price.
- Choose a wearable watch – Choose a watch that you actually want to wear and that suits you and your personal style. Be sure the watch is wearable for many occasions. One of the benefits of a luxury watch collection is that it can be used and enjoyed on a daily basis, not hidden away in a safety deposit box or safe. It would be a shame for such an expensive purchase to sit unused in your dresser.
- Care for your watch – Once you have purchased your first watch, it is important to care for it properly.
- CONTINUE YOUR COLLECTION
After the purchase of your first luxury watch for your collection, you may soon find that you are ready to keep buying. You can hunt for a watch that is completely different from your first watch, or perhaps you are so satisfied with your first watch that you would like to buy something similar. Regardless, continuing and maintaining a watch collection is an exciting, enjoyable venture.